6 Benefits of Custom Orthotics
It’s important to take care of your feet because you need them to carry you through life, literally. Many people neglect their foot care which can greatly impact one’s quality of life.
What are custom orthotics?
Foot and ankle pain can limit your activities and lead to pain in other parts of your body. It’s important to seek treatment for the pain and to follow the recommendations of your orthopaedic doctor or surgeon. One assistive medical device your orthopedic doctor might recommend are custom orthotics. Orthotics are medical devices designed especially for the shape of your foot and source of your pain. They may be prescribed for biomechanical issues such as pain caused from standing, walking or running or for certain medical conditions like plantar fasciitis and arthritis. They are often made of graphite or plastic and meant to last for years as compared to common shoe inserts that are bought at the drug store which may only last a few months.
The Benefits of Custom Orthotics
- Custom Orthotics are completely customized to your foot and for your specific diagnosis or biomechanical issue.
- Custom Orthotics improve your comfort and facilitate standing, walking and running.
- Custom Orthotics help in reducing pain in the foot, ankle and leg and promote healing for medical conditions.
- Custom Orthotics improve balance.
- Custom Orthotics absorb shock and redirect pressure away from painful areas in the foot and ankle.
- Custom Orthotics can enhances athletic performance while lowering the risk of injury.
Digital Foot Scanners
Technology like digital scanners have improved the customization available and precision in making custom orthotics and often only require a 15 minute appointment for the digital scan. This information is send to the lab for the orthotics to be milled. Once the orthotics are complete, the orthopaedic doctor will schedule a follow up appointment to ensure the proper fit with multiple types of footwear.
Consult an Orthopedic Surgeon
It’s important to consult with your doctor to see if custom orthotics will improve your condition and foot, ankle and leg pain. Patients don’t need a prescription to request custom orthotics at Central Texas Foot and Ankle, Give us a call for a consult.